The Sheffield Wednesday FC Community programme is seeking to appoint enthusiastic, charismatic and dedicated National Citizen Service (NCS) Team leader and team assistants to help in the delivery of the NCS Programme which is a project for young people aged 16-17.
NCS is a voluntary four – week programme for 16-17 year olds that will promote:
- A more cohesive society by mixing participants of different backgrounds
- A more responsible society by supporting the transition into adulthood for young people
- A more engaged society by enabling young people to work together to create social action projects in their communities. (For more information visit ncsyes.co.uk)
You will be responsible for 15 young people and will be expected to supervise, motivate and inspire your team to successfully complete and enjoy their NCS experience. You may be asked and required to assist in the delivery of the activities throughout the programme. You will be expected to assist in ensure that your team of young people complete the required 30 hours social action and planning. You will be required to learn and incorporate the NCS Ethos into the programme delivery.
- Ensure group harmony and facilitate group dynamics.
- Tackling any problems and resolving confrontation.
- Safeguarding of young people is paramount and YOU MUST report any issues to Wave Leader, NCS Co-ordinator & NCS Project Manager.
- Report any concerns / incidents to the Wave Leader as soon as possible.
- Administer basic First Aid, if required, in line with first aid training.
- Complete the Incident report form within 24 hours of any incident taking place.
- Provide support during NCS to your allocated team.
- Ensure all activities are undertaken in the spirit and ethos of NCS.
- Ensure young people observe rules pertaining to appropriate behaviour and conduct at all times as laid out in the NCS Code of Conduct.
- Uphold and positively contribute to the outstanding reputation of Sheffield Wednesday Community Programme and the ethos of NCS.
- Take action if inappropriate behaviour happens (procedures will be covered during training).
- Provide support and team leadership for the young people.
- Be an active member and ambassador of NCS.
- Keep your team on task and punctual to each and all activities.
- Support the staff team with shared night duty responsibilities.
- Provide first aid responsibilities for your team.
- Assist the team leader on delivering the social action activities whilst guiding your team through the process.
- Be proactive and decisive.
- Ensure that your group members share NCS experiences and facilitate the daily process of Guided Reflection.
- Attend the staff training events including First Aid, Safeguarding Children, Risk Assessments, Guided Reflection, and Team Building.
- Attend residential training as set by Sheffield Wednesday Community Programme.
- Represent SWFCCP during NCS in a professional manner.
- Promote and safeguard the welfare of young people for whom you are responsible and with whom you come into contact.
- Any other duties, consistent with the main purpose of the job, as may be specified from time to time.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR THE POST:
- Prior experience of working with teenagers in a supervisory role is desirable.
- Must be able to demonstrate problem solving skills, ability to motivate, inspire and use your own initiative.
- Full UK driving licence and a car available for work use is desirable – or access to regular and reliable public transport.
- DBS is essential
- First aid certificate is desirable
- Must be able to demonstrate an ability to build a rapport with young people and maintain effective, professional relationships.
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to effectively and respectfully resolve potential or existing conflicts, showing creativity and resourcefulness.
- A genuine interest in the welfare of young people and commitment to supporting them throughout the duration of NCS.
- Strong interpersonal skills and good verbal communication skills.
- Confidence in developing the respect of young people.
- Enthusiasm and drive to ensure successful delivery of NCS.
- Emphatic, sensitive and approachable nature.
- Tolerance and patience.
- Ability to remain calm and composed in difficult situations.
- Sound judgement and responsible nature.
- Good organisational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to assist and work as part of a team.
- Flexible approach to work.
- Commitment to support young people throughout the duration of NCS.
- Successfully assist the wave leader to ensure your group of young people complete the NCS programme
- Ensure the safety and welfare of young people at all times.
- Make sure your team is punctual.
If you are interested in applying for a role in the team this summer please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org