Activity Leadership Level 2
The apprenticeship in Activity Leadership is designed for those individuals who wish to gain a broad, but solid foundation to allow them to follow a career in the outdoors sector or in the active leisure sector as fitness activity leaders and coaches.
- Exercise & Fitness
Outdoor learning will tend to be working with straight-forward groups in less hazardous activities, often in controlled environments. In active leisure, roles covered by this framework tend to be more of a community focus, and apprentices tend to be employed in community settings as activity leaders or sports coaches.
This is a multi-pathway framework, catering for the UK outdoors sector as well as providing opportunities for development of fitness activity leaders and coaches.
It must be remembered that ‘activity leadership’ is actually about people leadership in activities.
As an apprentice you will study on the job, and off the job at SWFC, building up valuable knowledge, skills and gaining qualifications. You will be paid a wage at the same time.
Whilst you are at work you will have visits from your SWFC tutor who will help you achieve your qualification by demonstrating your skills and knowledge. Additionally, you will need a DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) check.
The course is made up of a range of qualifications and you will learn about the various aspects of sport and coaching. At SWFC you will work towards a technical certificate in sport and will be expected to study Functional Skills in Maths or English where necessary and, depending on your workplace, will have the opportunity to study for additional National Governing Body Awards in sport. These may include emergency first aid at work and awards which include basketball and football coaching, fitness instructing courses, community sports leadership award and pool lifeguarding.
Key Areas of Study
- Sport and Coaching
- Sport as a Business
- Safeguarding and Protecting Young People
- Injuries in Sport
- Leading a Healthy Lifestyle
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Planning, Delivering and Evaluating a Sport/Leisure Activity
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
Duration: Minimum 12 months.
Entry Requirements: 4 GCSEs grades A* – D (or acceptable alternatives) including English Language and Maths no lower than an E.
Level: This framework is set a level 2
Assessment: Practical Assessment & Coursework.
Where does this Lead? Full time employment. Alternatively, apprentices may choose to study full time on a Level 3 sport course.
Why Sheffield Wednesday Football Club?
- Already deliver high quality education programmes above national benchmark.
- A Unique Training Environment.
- Pride ourselves on a QUALITY service all round through our niche offering.
- We have a significant reach into the local community to recruit future talent for industry though our current involvement.
- Provide progression for our current talent into jobs with training through apprenticeship.
- Creating a partnership with industry to support productivity and growth through education.
- We are a specialist and approved provider of levy funded apprenticeships listed on the RoATP.
- To offer a comprehensive service we partner with both The Sheffield College and Universities.
For more information on any course or for a free consultation on how the levy effects your organisation please contact our Education Team on 01143240780 or email [email protected].